Theodore Albiniak made a successful debut as director of the Speech and Debate Team, with a division victory and strong placements in the Golden Gate Opener tournament held on campus September 25 – 27.
Policy Debate (Junior Varsity/Novice Division)
- Carlee Carter and Paul Villa won the division and placed as second and fourth speaker, respectively.
- Mia Guzman and Kenton Raiford tied for third place and were awarded seventh and eighth speaker, respectively.
Policy Debate (Open Division)
- Slammy Binley: fifth-place speaker
- Alex Carey: ninth-place speaker
- Genelle Murray: 12th-place speaker
- Aliyah Shaheed: 13th-place speaker (in her first-ever tournament)
Lincoln Douglas Debate (Novice Division)Milo Munoz-Valverde: fourth-place speaker and third seed after four preliminary debates; ended the tournament tied for fifth place
In Novice ImpromptuVeronika Svinth: finalist
Open ImpromptuNicole Morrison-Fountain: fifth place
The team, based in the Communication Studies Department, welcomed more than 500 visitors from the Bay Area, Southern California, Utah, Texas and Florida to the campus to compete in the major regional speech and debate competition. The Golden Gate Opener featured three competitive debate events, 10 individual speech events and one duo speech event.
Photo by Hannah Anderson