loadbang builds a new kind of music for mixed ensemble of trumpet, trombone, bass clarinet and baritone voice. Since its founding in 2008, the group has been praised as “cultivated” by The New Yorker, “an extra-cool new music group” and “exhilarating” by the Baltimore Sun, “inventive” by The New York Times and a “formidable new-music force” by TimeOutNY. loadbang’s unique, lung-powered instrumentation has provoked diverse responses from composers, resulting in a repertoire comprising an inclusive picture of composition today.
loadbang has premiered more than 200 works, written by members of the ensemble, emerging artists and today’s leading composers. Its repertoire includes works by Pulitzer Prize winners David Lang and Charles Wuorinen, Rome Prize winners Andy Akiho and Paula Matthusen and Guggenheim Fellow Alex Mincek. Not content to dwell solely in the realm of notated music, loadbang is known for its searing and unpredictable improvisations, exploring the edges of instrumental and vocal timbre and technique and blurring the line between composed and extemporaneous music.
- Taylor Brook: Ouaricon Songs, Volume 2
- William Lang: Sciarrino Songs
- Carlos Cordeiro: Disquiet
- Andy Kozar: To Keep My Loneliness Warm
- Jonathan Dawe: A Ship of Fools
- Jeffrey Gavett: Quis Det Ut
- Joan Arnau Pamies: per ser plagat de ta dolça ferida
- Reiko Füting: Land of Silence