Morrison Chamber Music Center: Yehudi Menuhin Chamber Music Seminar and Festival
February 1, 8pm
- Debussy (1862–1918): Sonata for Cello and Piano (1915) David Requiro, cello, and Roger Woodward, piano
- Barber (1910–1981): Dover Beach, Op. 3 (1931) — after the poem by Matthew Arnold Arkadas String Quartet with Kindra Scharich, mezzo-soprano
- Beethoven (1770–1827): String Quartet in E-flat major, Op. 74 The Harp (1809) First movement: Poco Adagio; Allegro Arkadas String Quartet
- Murphy (1964–): Give Me Phoenix Wings to Fly (1997) Allant Trio
- Brahms (1833 – 1897): String Sextet No. 2 in G major, Op. 36 (1865) Alexander String Quartet with Toby Appel, viola, and David Requiro, cello
February 2, 8pm
- Schumann (1810–1856): Selections from Liederkreis, Op. 39 Kindra Scharich, mezzo-soprano, and Roger Woodward, piano
- Schumann: Piano Quintet in E-flat major, Op. 44 (1842) First movement: Allegro Brillante Arkadas String Quartet with Roger Woodward, piano
- Schumann: Piano Quartet in E-flat major, Op. 47 (1842) Allant Trio with Toby Appel, viola
- Brahms (1833 – 1897): Zwei Gesangen, Op. 91 Gestillte Sehnsucht, D major (1884) Geistliches Wiegenlied, F major (1864) Kindra Scharich, mezzo-soprano; Paul Yarbrough, viola; and Roger Woodward, piano
- Brahms: String Sextet No. 1 in B-flat major, Op. 18 (1860) Alexander String Quartet with Toby Appel, viola, and David Requiro, cello
February 3, 7pmParticipant ensembles and faculty perform en masse, directed by Alexander String Quartet violinist Zakarias Grafilo. Solos by Roger Woodward, piano, and Kindra Scharich, mezzo-soprano. Mendelssohn, Fauré, Shostakovich, Bach, Dvořák, Brahms, Beethoven and Schubert.
Public master classes
January 30, 4pm-5:30pm
Chamber Music Collaboration with the VoiceArkadas String Quartet and Holloway String Quartet, with mezzo-sopranos Kindra Scharich and Gillian Eshleman, are coached by faculty artists on Barber’s Dover Beach, Op. 3, and Fauré’s La Bonne Chanson, Op. 61.
January 31, 4pm-6pm
Piano Trio and String QuartetAllant Trio and Arkadas String Quartet are coached by faculty artists on Murphy’s Give Me Phoenix Wings To Fly and Beethoven’s String Quartet in E-flat Major, Op. 74, Harp.
February 2, 2pm-5:30pm
Emerging EnsemblesTrio Consonare, the Arkadas String Quartet, Allant Trio, Aleron Trio and Holloway String Quartet are coached by faculty artists.
February 3, 1pm-3pm
Young advanced ensemblesYoung advanced ensembles from the Bay Area are coached by faculty artists, assisted by the seminar’s emerging ensembles.
Additional public events
February 1, 2pm-5:30pm
Open rehearsal for February 1 concert
February 2, 3:15pm-4:15pm
Music and MovementPresentation on Bach’s Chaconne from the Violin Partita in D minor, BWV 1004, performed by Alexander String Quartet violinist Frederick Lifsitz, with dance choreographed by Assistant Profesor Ray Tadio.
- Morrison Chamber Music Center
- Alexander String Quartet
- Roger Woodward
- David Requiro
- Toby Appel
- Kindra Scharich
- Allant Trio
- Aleron Trio
- San Francisco Chronicle, January 15, 2013
- San Ramon Express, January 6, 2013
- University Place Patch, January 3, 2013
The Morrison Chamber Music Center is funded, in part, by a generous gift from the May Treat Morrison Chamber Music Foundation. Additional support is provided by The Mervyn L. Brenner Foundation and Mr. Doug McLean. We are grateful to the Joyce McLean Fellowship Fund for making the seminar and festival accessible to young musicians with financial need.
All programs are subject to change.